Skip to main content

10 Must Have Cleaning Supplies


I used to be a person who bought every different kind of cleaner available, those specified for this or that, such as All Purpose Cleaners, furniture polish, etc. They can be expensive though if you have to have a cleaner for every different thing you do. After I began cleaning for a living, I found uses for BASIC supplies that did everything. I also found that texture of my cleaning rag or tool played as big a part as the cleaner I was using. So here is a list of things I keep in my cleaning toolkit that can be used for virtually anything and everything. 

1. Dawn Dishsoap 

Dawn is soft enough to be used on animals. Many commercials have shown it to be effective in cleaning up little ducklings, etc after an oil spill. So it's soft enough to not harm, yet has a great degreaser. Fill up a spray bottle with water and add a few drops of Dawn Dish Soap, shake and voila! There is your all purpose cleaner. 

2. Vinegar

The same type of bottle is handy to have as the Dawn, if you prefer Vinegar. Fill up a bottle with Vinegar about a 4th of the way, then top off with water and shake well. Vinegar is also a great surface cleaner and works well on glass and mirrors. It does take longer to dry than for instance, Sprayway but it is inexpensive and gets the job done, so I always have Vinegar on hand, especially if I run out of Sprayway. 

3. Bar Keepers Friend

Bar Keepers Friend, or BKF for short, is an inexpensive powder which can be used on nearly everything grimy, for instance in your ovens, around faucets, as well as bathtubs and showers. Mix it with Dawn to make a paste and use a terrycloth rag for awesome results. It will remove stains out of tubs, off of refrigerators and the like. It's also excellent for hard water stains on shower doors. 

4. Sprayway

Sprayway is the premier glass cleaner. I use it for windows and mirrors. If I run out, I use the Vinegar. Sprayway has a strong smell. Some people like it, some don't. I don't mind it at all. 

5. Oven Cleaner

Oven cleaner is absolutely essential. Some people use self cleaning ovens, but most do not. I have several before and after pictures of ovens I have cleaned in rental apartments that were in bad shape. You have to let the oven cleaner soak for a while. You will most likely need a wire mesh scrubbing tool to get out all of the black burnt areas inside your oven. You may need to repeat the process several times. (Note, you can also use BKF and Dawn on the inside of ovens if you are out of Oven Cleaner but that's not MY preferred method as it can leave a white film you can miss if you're not careful.)

6. Toilet Bowl Cleaner

Any kind will do. This is the only place where I use a product that contains bleach. 

7. Ammonia

I keep this on backup for impossible jobs such as bathroom or kitchens that haven't been cleaned in forever. 

8. Floor Cleaner

Typically I buy Fabuloso unless specifically asked to use something else such as Murphy's Oil for wood floors or Pine Sol. Fabuloso and Pine Sol both have strong smells. I think Fabuloso makes the whole place smell better. 

9. Magic Eraser

Magic erasers are great for getting stains and scratches off of appliances, hard grime in tubs, doors and baseboards. You can remove crayon marks from walls and doors. It's really magic! 

10. Furniture Polish

I do not use oil based furniture polish on any furniture. It builds up. I use either the Dawn or Vinegar and just damp my rag a little before dusting unless a customer specifically asks me to use a product of their choosing. 

Dana Simpkins, Author

Copyright 2024



Popular posts from this blog

If it doesn't apply, let it fly....

This year my house was broken into, my purse stolen, my car stolen and overall just weird things happening. I decided to leave the house and left my garage band recording (program I use to record music). When I returned I played it back and there were two men in my office whispering, but I couldn't make out what they were saying. Any musician knows Garage Band will pick up absolutely everything. Immediately after, someone un-installed my garage band and changed all of my email and apple passwords and I STILL can't check my email and my phone has been hacked. Also my debit card came up missing and I now need to close my account. I am so over people gaslighting me and telling me these things aren't happening. I've got people streaming my computer on their televisions and more. I'm taking all of my equipment out of town to have a professional look into these things and when I find out, I will take action. Over the past 30 years I have been ostricized and st

Organizing & Tidying

  Let's gather some simple solutions to help you keep up on housekeeping.  1. Decluttering - Decluttering your house can be a daunting task. The first step to organizing anything is to get rid of excess by decluttering. Get rid of things you don't want or don't use. Start two piles, one for donations, the other for trash. If you don't love it or use it, get rid of it. The standard is, if you haven't used it or wore it for a year, get rid of it.  2. Organizing - There are a couple of ways to get started organizing your home. To keep things up off of the floor, try to use some wall space. Shelves with baskets and coat hooks can go a long way. Be sure to use labels and keep like items together. Coat hooks are great for hanging not only coats, but shopping bags that contain various like items, backpacks etc. 3. Tidying - Making your bed and keeping your dishes done are the two best ways to get started.  Use a basket to pickup items throughout the house and put away late